Jeera Aloo (potatoes with cumin) for two people
Half kilo potatoes
One tablespoon of oil
Half teaspoon jeera
Half teaspoon salt
Pinch of turmeric/haldi
- Wash the potatoes
- Put in a pressure cooker and fill it with water till the potatoes are immersed completely.
- Boil for 10-12 minutes till one whistle. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can boil it in a large pot in the same way, but be careful as it would need more cooking time
- Switch off gas.
- Wait for 10 minutes before you open the pressure cooker (15 minutes if you’re using a pot) Before doing so, lift the whistle on the lid just to be sure it doesn’t burst open
- To check it the potatoes are done, pierce it with a fork. If it goes in smoothly, it’s done.
- Take out the potatoes and place it on a plate for it to cool down slightly.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cut it into small pieces (around 1 inch)
- Put a frying pan/wok/indian kadai on medium heat on the stove and add oil.
- Add jeera (cumin) till it splutters.
- Add the potatoes to the cumin and cook on low heat
- Add salt and turmeric (if you have coriander power and cumin powder, you can add half teaspoons of those as well for extra flavour)
- Cook for 7-8 minutes til it’s crispy and brown. Some parts will stick to the bottom, just scrape it off with your spatula. These are the crispy bits!
- Switch off gas
i struggled with simple things like switching on the gas and even shutting the pressure cooker lid, but after a while it didn’t seem that bad. That’s all for today!
3 thoughts on “Day 1 : Jeera Aloo (Potato with cumin)”
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thank you so much! Do check out the butter chicken 🙂
Thank you for following CarolCooks 2 …I am just going to check out your butter chicken 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person