Butter chicken for 4 people (or 3 very hungry people)
Ingredients for the gravy
3 tbsp of garlic ginger or 2 tbsp of garlic paste
1 medium sized onion chopped
7 tomatoes medium sized
150 ml of freshly made tomato purée or half a can
3 tbsp oil
2 bay leaves
1tsp of salt
2 tsp dhania/coriander powder
Pinch of turmeric or haldi powder
1tsp chilli powder
2 green chilli’s (optional for spice)
1 tbsp Kasuri methi
1/4 tsp of garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
For preparing the chicken
Take 500 g of boneless chicken
Wash it and put it in a strainer to drain off the water
Keep aside for 10-15 minutes and then cut it into approx. 1 inch pieces
1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp of yogurt
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp jeera powder
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk it
2. Add the chicken after it has been cut
3. Mix it well
4. Cover it with cling wrap or a plate and keep it in the fridge for 4-6 hours (preferably overnight)
1. Add 3tbsp oil to the large kadai or a heavy based pot/pan, on medium heat
2. Add 2 bay leaves and the chopped onions
3. Wait for the onions to turn light brown and then add the chopped ginger garlic
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes till it turns light brown (not dark)
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 20 min .
6. Add the coriander powder, haldi, salt and chilli powder
7. Add the tomato purée and cook for another 10-12 minutes
Now is the time to take out the chicken! Leave it outside for 10 minutes before completing step 11. Preheat the grill.
8. Switch off gas after the gravy is done cooking. Let it cool down and then take out the bay leaves
9. After it has cooled down, blend it in the mixie for 10 seconds. Make sure it is still slightly chunky and coarse. It should NOT be a smooth paste
10. After you have blended it in the mixie, put it back in the pot let it simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes
11. DURING THESE 15-20 MINUTES : Place the chicken pieces on the tray of the preheated grill and grill it for 15-20 minutes till it gets a ‘grilled look’ and is cooked thoroughly.
Once the gravy has been simmered for 25 minutes there will be around 5 minutes left for the chicken to be done in the grill
During those 5 minutes
1. Add 100 g of butter to the masala gravy which is still simmering
2. Add the kasuri methi (if you have it)
3. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp garam masala for aroma and flavour
4. Add the green chilli’s
5. Add 1/2 tsp sugar
6. Let it simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes. During this time you can take out the chicken!
7. Now add cream ( leave one tablespoon for the garnish)to the gravy ,stir it a couple of times .
8. Now add the chicken and mix well. Leave it for 2 minutes on low heat
9. Taste it to see if the amount of salt is all right and put in the serving dish
10. Take that kept aside 1 tbsp of cream to garnish on top in a swirl!
Note : you can make this in a very large batch and freeze it as per requirement. Do not add cream of step 7 if you are storing it. Cream should only be added when you are ready to eat.
Butter chicken butter chicken butter chicken butter chicken butter chicken butter chicken en