Now this is a weekend treat! Perfect for a lazy Saturday – an indulgent lunch followed by an afternoon of relaxation.
You can have this with lachha paratha (layered paratha) or rice!
Normally, we make it with fresh paneer / cottage cheese, but since we don’t have any I have used the frozen one.
Ingredients (for 4)
250-300 g paneer (cottage cheese)
3 tbsp of garlic ginger or 2 tbsp of garlic paste
1 medium sized onion chopped
7 tomatoes medium sized
150 ml of freshly made tomato purée or half a can
3 tbsp oil
2 bay leaves
1tsp of salt
2 tsp dhania/coriander powder
Pinch of turmeric or haldi powder
1tsp chilli powder
2 green chilli’s (optional for spice)
1 tbsp Kasuri methi
1/4 tsp of garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
1. Take out the paneer from the freezer and place it in the fridge the night before using it.
2. Add 3tbsp oil to the large kadai or a heavy based pot/pan, on medium heat
3. Add 2 bay leaves and the chopped onions
4. Wait for the onions to turn light brown and then add the chopped ginger garlic
5. Cook for 3-4 minutes till it turns light brown (not dark)
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 20 min .
7. Add the coriander powder, haldi, salt and chilli powder
8. Add the tomato purée and cook for another 10-12 minutes
9. Let it cool down and then take out the bay leaves
10. After it has cooled down, blend it in the mixie for 10 seconds. Make sure it is still slightly chunky and coarse. It should NOT be a smooth paste
11. After you have blended it in the mixie, let it simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes
12. Add 100 g of butter to the masala gravy which is still simmering
13. Add the kasuri methi (if you have it)
14. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp garam masala for aroma and flavour
15. Add the green chilli’s
16. Add 1/2 tsp sugar
17. Let it simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
18. Now add cream ( leave one tablespoon for the garnish) to the gravy ,stir it a couple of times .
19. Cut the cottage cheese into cubes and add it to gravy on low heat. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Anything longer than that it’ll become too hard
20. Taste it to see if the amount of salt is all right and put in the serving dish
21. Take that kept aside 1 tbsp of cream to garnish on top in a swirl!
Note : you can make this in a very large batch and freeze it as per requirement. Do not add cream of step 18 if you are storing it. Cream should only be added when you are ready to eat.