This is my Nani’s recipe which we have always used. Tried and tested a million times over!
Such a versatile dish, have it with kulchas ,rotis or as a chaat with aloo tikkis or the way my dad likes it – with plain bread!
1. One cup white channas/ chickpeas
2. 3 cups of water
3. 2-3 bay leaves
4. 1 large black cardamom
5. 1 stick of cinnamon
6. 2 tbsp oil
7. 1 tbsp jeera / cumin powder
8. 1 tbsp dhaniya / coriander powder
9. 1 tbsp amchoor / mango powder
10. 1/3 tbsp garam masala
11. 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
12. 1/2 tbsp sugar
13. 1/3 tbsp salt
1. Put the channas in the pressure cooker with the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and water. Let it whistle for about 5-6 whistles. The number of whistles depends on the the type of stove you use – gas or convection and the heat. So basically cook the channas till just short of being done.
2. Once it’s done, drain it and keep aside the water. DO NOT away throw the water!
3. Put all ingredients from ingredients 7-13 in a bowl and mix well.
4. Heat a wok on high flame and add oil.
5. Add all the masala in the bowl to the wok and stir well.
6. Stir till it turns brown (almost dark brown and on the verge of looking burnt). This should take about 2 minutes
7. Now add the channas and stir well for 1-2 minutes
8. Add the water and let it boil
9. Reduce heat and let it cook for 20 min. Stir every now and then.
10. When it looks like this, then press the channas with the back of a spoon.
11. Stir for 5 min and switch off the gas
Garnish with some onions, tomatoes fresh green chilli’s and a squeeze of lemon juice on top