It’s a light, fragrant meal and certainly something different
1. Round aubergine/eggplant/ baingan – 350-400g
2. 4 small onions – do not use dark ones
3. 3 green chilli’s
4. 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin) powder preferably freshly ground
5. 1/2 tsp salt
6. Pinch of garam masala
7. One bowl of Greek or hung yogurt
8. 1 tbsp cream
9. Fresh coriander chopped (optional)
10. 2 tbsp oil
1. Wash and dry the aubergine
2. To chargrill, use barbecue or use the grilling plate . On gas it takes about 25-20 minutes (turn it constantly holding the stem)
3. Cool it and then wrap it with aluminium foil. Rub to remove the charred darkened skin – you can use your hands if you don’t mind the mess!
4. Chop 2 onions into small pieces (diced cubes) and the other 2 into thin slices
5. Take a pan , add oil and heat on high flame. This is to fry the sliced onions. Turn on low heat after 3-4 minutes and let it fry till brown and crispy. Keep it aside
6. Heat a wok on medium heat and add oil
7. Add the chopped onions and green chilli’s.
8. Stir for 2-3 min or until the onions just turn very light golden. Should remain translucent.
9. Add the aubergine, 1/4 tsp cumin/ jeera powder and salt to the chopped onions and mix well. Add a tsp of oil on the sides. Stir for approx 3 minutes.
10. Add the Greek yogurt or hung yogurt and mix well. Increase it to high flame
11. Switch off gas after 8-9 minutes and put the smoked aubergine in a bowl
12. Sprinkle with a pinch of garam masala and 1/4 tsp cumin powder on top and garnish with fried onions.
Enjoy with some dal and roti or with Lebanese bread and dahi chicken ( recipe given on day 20)