It’s a bit of a fusion – a western vinaigrette but with Indian styled toppings
Very quick and easy to prepare – makes a light and cool salad which is perfect as a starter or side dish.
3 small – medium sized beetroots
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of oil (for frying)
1 tbsp of gram (channa)
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp brown sugar (powdered) or gur (jaggery)
2 stems of curry leaves
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Wash the beetroots and pat it dry. Wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for one hour at 180 degrees Celsius. Take it out and let it cool before unwrapping the foil
2. After the beetroot has cooled, chop it into large cubes.
3. To make the dressing – In a small bowl mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar.
4. Roast the gram in a pan for about a minute on medium heat.
5. Add oil to the pan and fry the curry leaves for 30-40 seconds till it becomes crispy. Let it cool
6. To assemble, pile the beetroot on a plate and then drizzle the dressing on it. Put three tablespoons of the Greek yogurt on top. Sprinkle the roasted channa and finally add the curry leaves.
7. Optional (gives a nice flavour to it!) drizzle some chilli oil on top