This is a basic pasta sauce recipe which freezes very well. It’s very versatile as you can use it for different types of pasta like bolognese or arrabiata, or dishes like yesterday’s moussaka or even pizza.
1. 8 medium tomatoes
2. 1 medium onion
3. 4-5 pods garlic or 1 tsp garlic paste
4. 2 tablespoon oil
5. 1/2 tsp deghi mirch
1. Wash tomatoes . Put in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes or till the skin crinkles or starts to peel off. Switch off gas
2. Take out the tomatoes from the pot and let it cool.
3. Once cooled put it into a mixie and blend for around 20 seconds. It should still be a bit lumpy, but not entirely smooth. Keep aside
4. Cut the onion and garlic into small pieces
5. Heat wok. Add oil. Add garlic and stir for a minute till it turns light brown.
6. Add the onion. Stir till it turns light brown
7. Add the blended tomatoes and stir well.
8. Add a pinch of chilli powder and and salt. Let it cook for another 15 min . You may need to put a lid on the pot as it splutters. Add a bit of oil around the corners and let it cook for 15 minutes.
9. Add oregano and chilli flakes
10. Switch off the gas and put a couple of spoonfuls on top of the pasta. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil. Or use it for pizzas.